A vegetarian alternative to buffalo chicken wings!
- 1 ea Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk I used skim
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Hot Sauce Use your favorite!
- 4 tbs Butter
- 1/2 tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 ea Blue Cheese Crumbles Optional – To your liking
- Gather your ingredients. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Break the cauliflower into pieces that are roughly the size of a chicken wing.
- Combine the flour, milk, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Place the cauliflower into the bowl and shake it, stir it, whatever it takes to get them well coated. I like to use a bowl that have a cover and vigorously shake it.
- Properly coated cauliflowers!
- Spread the cauliflower across a baking sheet on parchment paper. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the batter is browning nicely.
- While waiting for the oven to do its thing, melt the butter with hot sauce and lemon juice over low heat on the stove.
- Stir until the butter, lemon juice, and hot sauce are emulsified <- Fancy new cooking word I learned today!
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven.
- In a bowl (I like to use one with a lid here too), coat the cauliflower with the hot sauce. Be gentle so that the breading doesn’t come off.
- Properly sauced cauliflowers!
- Spread out on the baking sheet again. Now is the time to sprinkle on any blue cheese you may wish to melt on the cauliflowers.
- Remove from the oven after about another 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- I’ll be honest. This recipe tastes great. It’s not that far off from an actual boneless chicken wing. But what the heck is the point of making this unless it’s a Friday of Lent or you are a vegetarian? It’s not like we’re subbing cauliflower for prime rib. Chicken is pretty healthy as-is.