When you want a soup that wows your palate, whip up this simple, yet amazingly flavorful soup!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 lb. sweet potato, cubed
- 15 oz. canned corn, drained, or 2 cups, frozen
- 15 oz. canned black beans
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 large avocado
- 1 large lime, wedges
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the onions. Stir until they start to sizzle, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for a minute, then add the stock, salt, chipotle powder and sweet potato. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potato pieces are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Add the canned corn, black beans, chicken and lime juice and return to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, topped with fresh cilantro and avocado, with lime wedges on the side.
- The soup keeps for four days, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
Serve up this flavorful soup with crispy tortillas and, if you prefer, a dollop of sour cream to add a little creaminess.
Tips & Notes
For a vegan version, use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock and add an extra can of beans in place of the chicken.
390 calories, 10 g. fat, 35 mg. cholesterol, 700 mg. sodium, 57 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber , 22 g. protein
Recipe via welcometothetable.coop