- 20 pounds ripe tomatoes (a variety of types of tomatoes can add depth to your sauce)
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 6 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
1. Chop onion and sauté with garlic until browned.
2. Add chopped tomatoes and let simmer for 10 mins.
3. Add lemon juice and salt and continue to simmer for 30 mins on med-low.
4. Take off of heat and let cool slightly.
5. Pour mixture into a food processor and blend until skins and large chunks are gone.
6. Transfer to a heat safe container. You can choose then to do can preserving or put them in the freezer to save.
Use this in:-pasta dishes and minestrone soup -indian cuisine (masala)-latin cuisine (stuffed peppers and enchiladas)
Recipe via Linda from the La Crosse Farmers Market Association.