- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (80 grams)
- optional: zest of 2 lemons or limes OR any other spices you would like to add
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (45 grams)
- 3 sticks + 2 tablespoons soft butter (368 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- extra sugar for dusting
- In a bowl with a paddle attachment beat
together the butter, sugar, powdered sugar,
vanilla, any spices or zest, and the salt.
Continue to beat for several minutes, taking
care to scrape the sides of the bowl often.
- While the butter and sugar are creaming,
take a whisk and break up any clumps that
might be in the flour.
- On a low speed, slowly add the flour until it is
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the
batter. Do not over mix. Stop as soon as it all
- Prepare a 9X13 inch sheet by buttering the
edges or placing parchment down.
- Spread the batter out evenly into your pan. If
possible, chill the batter for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously sprinkle the top of the batter with
sugar. Place in the oven and cook for about 20-
- It is important to cut the shortbread while it is
still warm – otherwise it will crack if you try to
cut it after it has cooled.
RECIPE FROM JEN BARNEY
MERINGUE BAKERY & CAFE