- 1 ½ pounds tomatillos (about 12 medium), husked and rinsed
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeños, stemmed (omit for mild salsa, use 1 jalapeño for medium salsa and 2 jalapeños for hot salsa, note that spiciness will depend on heat of actual peppers used)
- ½ cup chopped white onion (about ½ medium onion)
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves (more if you love cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup lime juice (1 to 2 medium limes, juiced), to taste
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Optional variation: 1 to 2 diced avocados, for creamy avocado salsa verde
1. Broil tomatillos and jalapenos for about 5 minutes, until black spots show. Then take them out and broil the other side too until they start to blacken.
2. In a food processor, blend onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt
3.Once you’ve removed the tomatillos and jalapenos from the oven, transfer them and their juices to the food processor and blend all the ingredients until all the bigger chucks are gone.
4. Will thicken from the tomatillos natural pectin as it chills in the refrigerator.
Use this in:-with chips-nachos-add to beans for tacos and/or casseroles
Recipe via Linda from the La Crosse Farmers Market Association.