May 27, 1921 — 100 years ago today — that was the day a little candy store in La Crosse first opened.
Today, the Sweet Shop is still there, on Caledonia Street, celebrating its 100-year anniversary.
Halloween to Valentine’s Day is the busy season. Now, however, things get a little hectic, as kids are starting to get out of school for summer — and out of a pandemic. While candy is the go-to, summer time always calls for an ice cream cone, as well from the store.
The Sweet Shop has been owned by the Espe family for nearly all of that time — 92 years, in fact.
The candy store’s oldest recipe is one that must have been created during the Great Depression: Anise Candy — otherwise known as black licorice.
WIZM wrote a feature on the Sweet Shop back in 2019, which can be read here.