fbpx
Connect with us

Family & Home

Red Cross helping families after La Crosse apartment fire

Brad Williams

Published

on

Flames spread from the first floor to the attic in a 5th Avenue apartment house in La Crosse that burned on Sunday

Boarded-up windows and a half-burned roof are some of the marks left after an apartment house in La Crosse was gutted by fire on Sunday.

Tom Mooney, who heads the southwest Wisconsin chapter of the Red Cross, said that the loss may be difficult for the children displaced by the fire.

Most of the 17 people left homeless by the fire are children.

Four families are now getting help to recover from the fire on 5th Avenue South — across the street from Poage Park — from the Red Cross.

“We’ll work with other agencies and do referrals,” Mooney said. “We’re really that first step in getting them back on their feet again.”

The cause of that fire hasn’t been determined yet, but everyone got out of the house without injury.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Avatar

    Rick Hamilton

    August 27, 2019 at 9:37 am

    The cause of the fire is known. A tipped over candle by a homeless person who was given access to the basement by a tenant

    • Avatar

      anonymous

      August 28, 2019 at 2:39 am

      Sadly that building has had other non paying tenants around for years. At times there were addicts in the basement. Its a shame what ppl do to help others but now it has displaced several families as a result of carelessness. Hope this taught a valuable lesson to the the person responsible for allowing said person to gain access in any way to the building.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *