The suspect in a downtown La Crosse drive-by shooting last June will need another evaluation to see if he can go on trial.
A competency review for Deandrew Grant is set for Dec. 1.
Defense attorney Joe Randtke told La Crosse County Judge Todd Bjerke on Tuesday that exams done so far have not established whether Grant is mentally fit to have a trial.
“Essentially, the burden shifts to the state to prove that he’s competent to proceed, based on the report we have now,” Randtke said in court on Tuesday. “That determination isn’t able to be made yet.”
Grant was allegedly driving the wrong way down 3rd Street, when he opened fire, wounding seven people.
The shootings happened shortly after Grant apparently was attacked during a fight downtown.
Grant’s court hearing Tuesday was scheduled as an update to help determine whether he can be put on trial for 29 criminal counts, including charges of attempted murder.
Prosecutor Nick Passe said in court Grant needs another evaluation.
“There’s the question of whether a medication order might be appropriate for Mr. Grant,” Passe said. “We’re not able to answer that today, either. ”
Passe asked that Grant be examined over the next two weeks at either the Winnebago or Mendota mental hospital, before his next hearing.