A La Crosse man now found guilty of drunk driving seven times is headed to prison for three years.
Angelo Ervin reached a plea agreement Tuesday on the newest OWI charge, after being arrested for drinking and driving shortly before Christmas. He received the minimum mandatory prison term.
“I’m an alcoholic,” Ervin told Judge Gloria Doyle in court. “I don’t try to go out, hurt nobody, I don’t try to do none of these things.”
After submitting his plea, the 53-year-old said that his mother died of cancer late last year, and he drank after becoming upset seeing families out Christmas shopping.
“I got my business messed up,” he said. “My mom needed me, and I couldn’t be there. I blamed the Lord, but it was me.”
Ervin was pulled over for driving without headlights on. Police found marijuana and heroin in his car. Drug possession charges were dismissed as part of the plea.
Doyle said she hopes that Ervin can recover in prison and “live a sober life.”