The list narrowed down to six.
The La Crosse County Historical Society has identified the six leading locations for a new history museum, based on voting that occurred during two public information sessions this week.
In no particular order, the favored sites include:
- The Shopko store at Bridgeview
- The Chamber of Commerce building downtown
- An Xcel property near the Oktoberfest grounds
- The River Point District
- The former La Crosse Tribune building downtown
- The Wells Fargo block on King Street.
A Dubuque architectural firm working on the project is going to contact the owners of those properties, to see who’s interested in taking part in museum development.
People who attended the two “spark sessions” this week were asked to vote on their three favorite sites from among about 14 possible locations.
The county historical society says it may still take a few more years before a museum is actually built.