The Star Academy through the La Crosse Community Theatre continues this school year.
The program launched this summer but has a new twist — School Year Edition.
This program offers eight in-person, full-day sessions based around the La Crosse School District’s calendar, when teachers either have in-services or professional development days.
La Crosse Community Theatre (LCT) director of outreach and education, Alex Attardo, told Z93 the program came as a necessity for the community.
“There’s a lot of times where parents are trying to figure out childcare for teacher workdays, and so we thought, why not bring the kids to us at The Community Theatre and give them an enriching experience,” Attardo said.
Each of the eight days is unique, so students will always be learning something new when they step through the doors at LCT.
Designed for both new and experienced youth performers, this program builds confidence, cultivates empathy and expands creativity through theatrical training.
LCT’s Star Academy: School Year Edition provides children with diverse and meaningful theatre experiences throughout the school year. These eight different classes are designed for children to explore theatre’s art, magic, and creation.
“We’re going to explore some backstage British magic with our first session because it’s going to run right in the middle of (LCT’s production of) Blithe Spirit, on Oct. 18,” Attardo said. “Then we’re going to have some sessions about music theater and technical theater so, getting kids involved and getting exposed to things other than just acting.”
Attardo added that it’s basically a modification of their summer camp, except it’s just for one day, where they get to see there are no stakes. No skill level is required, just the willingness to be present and learn well. Any student, aged 6 to 18, is welcome.
2021-2022 dates and session titles:
- Oct. 18 – Blithe Spirit: Behind the Curtain
- Nov. 1 – Sound of Music: A Few of our Favorite Things
- Jan. 14 – Yes, And!: The Art of Improvisation
- Jan. 17 – Martin Luther King Jr.: “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase”
- Feb. 11 – Technical Theatre: Magic of Making Theatre
- Feb. 14 – Musical Theatre: Singing, Acting, & Dancing Workshops in Collaboration with La Crosse Dance Centre
- March 4 -From Page to Stage: Creating Theatre for Young Audiences
- March 7 -Spring Fever: A Slice of Summer Camp at LCT