The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse confirmed a suicide death of a student on campus this week.
The university said the female student died Tuesday at the Coate Hall dormitory.
Chancellor Joe Gow sent a message about the death in an email Wednesday, recommending resources through which students and others could obtain counseling and information.
Dear UW-La Crosse students, faculty, and staff,
It is with deep sadness that I write to inform you of the tragic and sudden passing of one of our students, Jules Joosten. Jules, who was living in Coate Hall, died by suicide last night. We have been in close contact with the family, and we send our heartfelt condolences to Jules’ friends and loved ones.
A loss like this touches everyone in our campus community. I encourage anyone in need of support to reach out to campus counseling resources.
- Counseling and Testing Center at 608.785.8073
- Student Life at [email protected]
- Residence Life at [email protected] or 608.785.8075
- Office of Multicultural Students Services (OMSS) at [email protected] or 608.785.8225
- Campus Climate at [email protected]
- Student Support Services at [email protected]
- Pride Center at [email protected]
- ACCESS Center at [email protected]
- Upward Bound at [email protected]
- Faculty and staff who need support should use the Employee Assistance Program.
If you’re concerned about your own well-being or that of another person, please know that you are not alone. There are resources available 24/7. Specific 24-hr resources include:
- La Crosse County Mobile Crisis: 608.784.HELP (4357)
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800.273.TALK (8255) (veterans press 1)
- Trevor Project: 1.866.488.7386
- Crisis Text Line: Text “HOPELINE” at any time to 741741
- 211 (Great Rivers 211)
- 608.789.9000 (University Police)
Like many of you, I consider our campus community to be one large family. That makes days like today all the more heartbreaking, but it also provides a supportive environment where we can grieve and heal together. I hope you’ll join me in keeping Jules’ loved ones in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
We will share more with the campus community as appropriate, and we will continue to process our shared grief in the coming days and weeks.
Take good care,
Joe Gow, Chancellor
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse