Just over two weeks ago, a then 5-year-old boy woke up smelling smoke and alerted his parents.
Young Liam Cochrane’s quick thinking helped his family safely escape before the home’s smoke alarms even went off around 4:00 a.m. Jan. 20.
“Liam did what we continually stress in-home fire emergencies: Act quickly, alert your parents, get out and stay out, and call 911,” the La Crosse Fire department said.
To honor Liam, the La Crosse Fire Department presented him with a LifeSaver Award outside his school, Emerson Elementary, Thursday. The crew also gave Liam his one of his favorite toys, a Lego set.
After the ceremony, Liam’s father, Greg, noted it is the people inside a house who make it a home.