The Tomah Fire and Police Department responded to a triplex structure fire at 1:00 Friday morning.
Upon arriving at the scene, flames were coming through the front door of the downstairs apartment at 417 Kilbourn Ave. That occupant was able to escape without any injuries.
Tomah Police arrived first and forced entry to the other two apartments so they could get the other residents out safely, according to a news release.
Fire crews were on scene for two-and-a-half hours. they made an interior attack and knocked down the fire. They also performed overhaul to make sure no fire extended into the rest of the building.
The apartment where the fire happened is a total loss, according to the Tomah Fire Department. Fire officials said it started in the kitchen because the occupant fell asleep while cooking.
The Tomah Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Tomah Police Department, Tomah Area Ambulance Service, Monroe County 911 Communication Center, WE Energies, and Alliant Energies.