The La Crosse fire Department responded to a house fire around 3:20 Sunday afternoon.
Fire units found smoke coming from the roof area of a single family residence at 1026 6th St. South. The fire was found in the attic area of the one-story home.
The two residents evacuated themselves and their four pets before the fire department arrived, and the fire was under control by 3:44.
La Crosse Fire investigators determined the fire was caused by overheated electrical wiring.
The American Red Cross is helping the family with temporary housing and other immediate needs.
The La Crosse Fire Department, La Crosse Police Department, Tri State Ambulance, Xcel Energy, and La Crosse County Emergency Dispatch responded.