fbpx
Connect with us

Business

WSU students displaced by fire above Zaza’s Pizza restaurant

Brad Williams

Published

on

PHOTO: Winona Fire Dept. Facebook page (@WinonaFireDept)

Eleven students attending Winona State have had to move to temporary housing on the first day of fall classes, because of a fire at their apartments. 

The fire reportedly started around 7:30 a.m. at ZaZa’s Pizza on Huff Street, near the WSU campus. 

Some residents of the apartments above the restaurant had to be rescued from windows. 

The fire may have been caused by kitchen grease. 

Most of the damage may be inside ZaZa’s. 

At 0734 hours this morning, the Winona Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire on the 500 block of…

Posted by Winona Fire Department on Monday, August 24, 2020

A native of Prairie du Chien, Brad graduated from UW - La Crosse and has worked in radio news for more than 30 years, mostly in the La Crosse area. He regularly covers local courts and city and county government. Brad produces the features "Yesterday in La Crosse" and "What's Buried on Brad's Desk." He also writes the website "Triviazoids," which finds odd connections between events that happen on a certain date, and he writes and performs with the local comedy group Heart of La Crosse. Brad been featured on several national TV programs because of his memory skills.