fbpx
Connect with us

Coronavirus

New information: La Crosse County confirms fourth case of Coronavirus

WIZM staff

Published

on

As anticipated by health professionals, La Crosse County confirmed another case of COVID-19.

The La Crosse County Health Department said it is a male in his upper 20. This person is not a household contact of the previous cases.

Community members with questions about COVID-19 are encouraged to call 2-1-1.


The La Crosse County Health Department just announced around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday there is now a third confirmed case of the Coronavirus, COVID-19.

That’s all the info so far on that case. Earlier in the day, the department discussed the first two cases.

Update: Within the last hour, the La Crosse County Health Department received notification through our Wisconsin Electronic Disease Surveillance System (WEDSS) of our third confirmed case of COVID-19.

Posted by La Crosse County Health Department on Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Those cases were both women are in their late 20s to 40s. One lives in a household of up to six individuals, and the other has a three-member household. The health department said members of those households are assumed positive, and they expect to receive other positive test results from the community quickly.

County Health Director Jennifer Rombalski emphasized it is important for the community to stay calm and continue practicing prevention tactics such as staying home whenever possible and washing hands frequently.

Until Wednesday, La Crosse County had not confirmed any local cases of coronavirus. 

Rombalski says one of the persons testing positive had traveled recently, while the other was in contact with a member of her household who had traveled. 

Dr. Paul Molling from Mayo Clinic health care says some local people with symptoms of the virus had been hospitalized before today, but they tested negative and have since gone home.

Both Mayo and Gundersen have testing locations available, but they urge patients to call them on the phone first to be screened, before showing up for testing.         

La Crosse County will suspend walk-up services at most of its offices from Thursday, March 19th to March 24th, except for emergency services.

The doors to the courthouse will be open during normal hours.

County board chair Tara Johnson announced that the 29-member board will meet Thursday night to vote on an emergency declaration.

Other regular county government meetings are suspended until further notice.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *