fbpx
Connect with us

Fire & Rescue

Fire department wants space heaters to be used safely

Brad Williams

Published

on

Our colder-than-normal weather for much of this fall may have led you to use a space heater in your home. 

The La Crosse Fire Department wants you to be careful how you use that machine. 

Assistant fire chief Craig Snyder says space heaters are designed to be plugged directly into wall outlets, and not to extension cords. 

Snyder says an extension cord is good for low power, short-term use, for devices such as leaf-blowers.    

A recent national study blamed space heaters for more than 40 per cent of U.S. house fires that were started by heating systems.          

Snyder also warns against cutting off the end of an extension cord to replace a worn-out cord on a home appliance.          

A native of Prairie du Chien, Brad graduated from UW - La Crosse and has worked in radio news for more than 30 years, mostly in the La Crosse area. He regularly covers local courts and city and county government. Brad produces the features "Yesterday in La Crosse" and "What's Buried on Brad's Desk." He also writes the website "Triviazoids," which finds odd connections between events that happen on a certain date, and he writes and performs with the local comedy group Heart of La Crosse. Brad been featured on several national TV programs because of his memory skills.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *