Car theft charge dismissed but 18-year-old La Crosse man still accused of robbery
An 18-year-old from La Crosse will not be charged with stealing his ex-girlfriend’s car.
Ronald Crosby, jr., could, however, still be tried for robbery and other crimes, resulting from a fight with his ex last month.
At a pretrial hearing Monday, La Crosse police officer Dominic Jacobs testified about Crosby’s alleged attack on the victim, in order to get the car keys.
“I think she indicated he had pulled her down to the ground by her hair and kicked her, at which point she eventually released the keys,” he said in court.
Judge Gloria Doyle ruled there wasn’t enough evidence to charge Crosby with stealing the car.
“There’s not probable cause as to taking the vehicle without the owners consent,” she told the court. “It appears that one call from Passion caused the return of this vehicle and he had had the right to drive it in the past.”
Passion is the ex-girlfriend’s mother. Police say the alleged robbery occurred in late November.
The county recently dismissed charges implicating Crosby in a alleged gang rape last year at a south La Crosse garage.