The city of La Crosse now has a highly visible job opening to fill at the top of the park department.
Parks and rec. director Steve Carlyon apparently surprised the park board at Thursday night’s meeting, announcing he will retire at year’s end.
Carlyon was hired as the director in 2007, after working at an Air Force base in Ohio.
Before he retired, Carlyon had one final goal.
“But the funding for Trane Park was not secure,” Carlyon told the board. “Trane Park is the most important project I’ve done in those 47 years. Trane Park got their million bucks last week. I’m done.”
Much of Carlyon’s 47-year career in government was spent in the military or working on military bases.
The park board applauded Carlyon as he left the Black River Beach Center after his announcement.
He told Mayor Tim Kabat back in January that he intended to retire. He also said the park department staff knew that he was stepping down.