Some of the excuses were out there.
Excuses as to why about a dozen people from La Crosse County didn’t report for jury selection in the Todd Kendhammer murder trial last month.
Tuesday, Judge Todd Bjerke called them into his court to find out why.
Here were some of those reasons:
- Some of them said they missed seeing the December date for reporting to the courthouse.
- Others thought they would get a reminder call from court officials.
- Some said they couldn’t get away from work.
- One person claimed he heard the trial was going to be moved out of La Crosse.
- Another assumed he wouldn’t get on the jury because he takes medication that leads to frequent bathroom breaks.
Three people didn’t have any excuse. Because they didn’t show up to the summons to ask why they didn’t show up in the first place.
Bjerke fined most $200 but added the fine would be dropped if they show up the next time they’re called. He fined the three that didn’t show up $500.
Dozens received the summons to potentially serve in the murder jury.